The cemetery at St. Mary’s of Aransas was founded in 1857 when Joseph Smith set aside 10 acres of land several miles west of town. The oldest tombstone in the cemetary dates back to the year 1860.

The burial site is the resting place for the early pioneer families of St. Mary’s and Bayside, such as Dugat, Williamson, Russell, Egery, Carpenter, Howard, Maton, Martin, Talmon and Brightman. It is still actively used and provides tranquil, shady grounds, surrounded by fields alongside Texas HWY 136.


Click photos to enlarge and to view captions.