Click photos to enlarge and to view captions.

January 7, 2006: Charter meeting of the Bayside Historical Society (BHS) at the Wood Mansion; 18 charter members enrolled; officers elected: Tim Delaney, Chair; Capt. Don Foxhall, Vice Chair and Editor of the Baysider newsletter; Peter Gonzales, Secretary; and Michael Selzer, Treasurer.

March 18, 2006: First meeting with an invited speaker; held outdoors in the Bayside Municipal Park; Prof. Henry Jackson spoke on “The Influence of the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920 and Pancho Villa on South Texas History.”

June 24, 2006: First meeting indoors with an invited speaker; Dr. Robert P. Drolet, Corpus Christi Museum, spoke about “The Field School and Survey at El Copano in the Summer of 2005;” guided tours of the Wood Mansion were offered. Society membership was 31. Vol.1, Issue 1 of Baysider newsletter published.

September 9, 2006: Meeting at the Wood Mansion; Pam Wheat of Texas Archaeological Society spoke about “The Recovery of La Salle’s Ship, La Belle, in Matagorda Bay." Janet Christensen elected to position as Secretary of the Society. Vol. 1, Issue 2 of the Baysider published.

October 28, 2006: BHS begins TxDOT Adopt-a-Highway program participation.

December 2, 2006: Meeting at the Wood Mansion: archaeologist Jeff Durst, Texas Historical Commission, spoke on “When History is Found on Your Land; Your Rights." 46 members at the end of 2006. Vol. 1, Issue 3 of Baysider published.

February 24, 2007: Meeting at the Wood Mansion; Robert Shook, retired professor of history at Victoria College, spoke about “The Regional History of Our Three Bays: Matagorda, Aransas and Copano.” 50 members; Vol. 2, Issue 1 of Baysider published.

May 12, 2007: Meeting at the Wood Mansion; archaeologist Dr. Harry Shafer spoke about “Native American Mortuary Practices Across Texas.” Vol. 2, Issue 2 of Baysider published.

June 17, 2007: BHS granted non-profit 501 (c) (3) status by IRS.

August 11, 2007: Meeting at the Bayside Community Center; Tom Atkinson, an avocational archaeologist spoke about “Excavations of Ancient Burials Around the Coastal Bend.” Vol. 2, Issue 3 of Baysider published.

September 25, 2007: Refugio County Commissioners Court grants BHS the use of a large room as its headquarters in the Bayside Community Center. BHS makes plans to paint and redecorate the room. Herndon Williams elected to position as Treasurer of BHS, replacing Michael Selzer who moved to the curation committee.

November 10, 2007: Meeting at the Wood Mansion; Ron Ralph, archaeologist, spoke about “Study of Skinning a Buffalo with Ancient Stone Tools.” Vol. 2, Issue 4 of the Baysider published.

February 9, 2008: Meeting at the Wood Mansion; Dr. Marsha Hendrix of Texas Parks and Wildlife and the Fulton Mansion spoke about “The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad Comes to Rockport.” Vol. 3, Issue 1 of the Baysider published.

March 29, 2008: Dedication and opening of the redecorated BHS room in the Bayside Community Center. Speaker was Henry Wolff of the Victoria Advocate on the topic “Texas Longhorns and Birth of the Texas Cattle Industry."

May 10, 2008: First meeting in the BHS room; Dr. Herndon Williams of the BHS presented results of his research, “Map and Model of St. Mary’s of Aransas in 1869.” Vol. 3, Issue 2 of the Baysider published.

August 9, 2008: BHS Web site launched. Meeting in the BHS room. Donaley Brice, Texas State archivist and author, spoke on “The Great Comanche Raid of 1840 and the Battle of Plum Creek.” Vol. 3, Issue 3 of the Baysider published.